Outline points borrowed from “The Five Love Languages”
WORDS OF AFFIRMATION
1. Be positive, kind and filter your words.
2. God created us all with emotional fuel tanks.
Your interaction makes a deposit or a withdrawal.
Hebrews 10:24, 1 John 4:11
3. Listen attentively with eye contact and validate what a person says… “What did you think” or “How did that make you feel?” Ask good questions and then listen carefully.
4. Lead conversations in the direction of ideas.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
5. Avoid being rigid or having all the answers.
James 1:19, Proverbs 21:2, Proverbs 18:13
6. Don’t keep a conversation centered on yourself, it reflects insecurity.
Philippians 2:3-5, Proverbs 27:2, Proverbs 9:7
7. A monologue is not a conversation. Know when to stop talking … be aware when you have lost someone’s attention.
8. Let your spirituality be seen through your lifestyle. Avoid “god talk” or spiritual cliches. Matthew 6:16
9. Body language impacts your words. Respect other peoples space – don’t stand too close.